Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Cooking Frenzy

I've always enjoyed cooking, but it's become quite a hobby of mine lately. It all started about a week and a half ago when my good friend and fellow foody-to-which-I-aspire, Rose Lapka, introduced me to the world of food blogging. Apparently, there's a tiny (or actually not so tiny) niche out there in the blogging world whose only focus is food and the proliferation of recipes for any type of food and diet you could possibly imagine. Rose's current favorite is 101 Cookbooks which has quickly become my favorite as well (can you call it your favorite if it's the only one you've really looked at?). I was motivated by needing to cook a big group breakfast before church on Friday, so I took the Coconut Macaroon Pancake and Tasty Frittata recipes from the website. Late that night a few of us got together to make a Beautiful Bulgar and Spinach Pilaf and homemade Chocolate Chip Cookies - the kind you rarely get to bake because you've eaten most of the dough before you can get it into the oven. The next day I thought it would be a great idea to make my own Honey-Toasted Fruit Meusli, so I did, and ended the day by making the Curried Apple Couscous for my Dad. Today we had lunch as a staff and I was doing dessert, so I made the Triple Chocolate Espresso Bean Cookies, which are absolutely to die for. The only other cookie that has ever come close to being that outrageous is Rose's boyfriend's Mom's recipe for Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Cookies (in fact, I had intended to make these but couldn't find canned pumpkin anywhere in this country so settled for the 2nd option, which I'm glad I was forced to do). I've now made a "cooking" tab in my firefox bookmarks specifically for recipes I want to try from that website, and there's about 20 or so of them sitting there right now. Time to get to work!

No comments: