Wednesday, June 10, 2009

T-8 days to departure

Last minute preparations have begun! The only things left to do are wait for my meds to get here (shipped to a colleagues' aunt in PGH, picked up by the colleague and then brought to Doha when flying back since a) you can't get good malaria meds here and b) you can't ship meds overseas), print out a few emails and papers last minute for reference, and actually pack. Getting vaccinations was on that list until this morning... I walked into the vaccination clinic (just a building where all they do is give vaccines), told them which shots I needed, they stuck me, signed my WHO orange booklet and I left. No questions asked. And it cost NOTHING. Literally. For as much as people complain about the quality of health care here, there are some things that remind me to be grateful for public services. In the US that would have cost me over $200. It's days like this that make me love this country.

2 comments:

Marjorie said...

I'm grateful today too, after a half-hour trip to Al Ahli got me a diagnosis, the advice I needed and a month's worth of meds. Last time I had this same problem in the States it took trips to the ER on three consecutive nights to get it taken care of, because I don't have a primarily care physician.

What's your antimalarial of choice then? I use doxycycline, which they will prescribe here if you're super-pushy.

Darbi said...

Yet another example! I use Malarone, which is currently in transit from PGH via Tara Seman. How do you find doxycycline? I've just heard really bad things about Larium (don't know technical name) which is the main product you can get here...