Thursday, June 10, 2010
TIGTM #1 - Driving My Car
In May 2008, I met the love of my life - Wolfgang, the Silver VW Golf. I have driven an old VW Jetta since I learned to drive until I moved out here to Doha, over 7 years! I thought I loved that car and I still do have a soft spot in my heart for her (her name was Nadine). I moved out here and started renting a car because I thought I'd only be here for a year. Everybody told me I'd need/want an SUV so that's what I rented. They clearly didn't know what kind of driver I was. When I resigned my contract to stay for an additional 2 years, I figured it was time to buy my own car. At that point, my father had owned his Audi A4 for several months and I'd taken the opportunity to drive it on occasion. I loved getting back in a small car and realized driving in Doha was a lot more fun with a zippy little car. So I searched for a while for a hatchback of varying models and found this little 2003 Golf 2.0. It was love at first acceleration. Not only do I love zipping around the roundabouts and weaving through envoys of big SUV's, but I also love blaring music while I'm in my car and singing at the top of my lungs. Yes, I'm one of those people who pretends that other people can't see me when I'm inside my car and so do all sorts of things that would merit mocking if I were to do them in public. Like playing karoke in my car and car dancing (like when someone just bounces around in their seat to music). Next year, it would be silly and cumbersome to have a car in New York so that's unfortunately something that will no longer be a part of my life. Even though drivers in this country are crazy (I'm sure I contribute to that fact) and many people find driving incredibly stressful, for me car time is "me" time especially when I don't have any passengers, and I sure am going to miss that.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment